Monsoon - Dust Storm and Flash Flood Preparation
1. Inspect Your Roof - Have your roof thoroughly to ensure it's ready to bear the brunt of the monsoon's fury. Have any discernible cracks and holes patched up. It is best to handle any problem areas now at the beginning of the season. Also, be sure to check for hidden areas where water might build up and breakthrough.
2. Prep Plants and Trees - If you have any large (big) trees, trim an wieldy branches that could potentially snap off or damage your property. Also it is best to have trees thinned as this limits wind resistance so that strong monsoon winds cane more easily pass through.
3. Protect Your Car - You will be likely driving in the rain quite a bit over the coming month, so start early preparing your car for the monsoon season. Start with check tire tread, tire pressure, install new windshield wipers, check brake pads, and headlights.
4. Check Your Home's Drainage - Pay special attention to your yard., If your yard slopes towards your home and you notice water build up, you may want to have a landscaper redirect the water flow. Also it is best to check your gutters to ensure they are flowing, high winds tend to bring a lot of loose yard debris that could clog the gutters. Sometimes you are able to get roof and gutter repair as a package deal.
5. Monsoon Season Means Toads and Frogs - With the heavy rains of the monsoon bring out the Sonoran Desert Toad also known as Colorado River Toads. It is important to remember and/or be aware that they can be dangerous to children and pets. They are considered the largest toads in the U.S. There are risks with these toads it is important to be aware and keep children and pets at a distance. The Sonoran Desert Toad poses a serious threat to pets. They release a poison that can kill a pet in as few as 15 minutes. Young children may also put their fingers in their mouths after picking one up which can lead to hallucinations and other health problems.
Storm and water damage affects not only the structure of your house but also your belongings. SERVPRO of Litchfield / West Phoenix understands that your home is more than a structure; your family’s furniture, clothing, keepsakes, and other belongings help transform a house into a home.